Community Events

Historic Sites

Local Maps

Local Weather

Recreation Opportunities

Visitor Information

 

 

Welcome to Jenkins County/Millen, GA. What a great place to grow a business, raise a family, or operate an industry. 

You may just want to tour our many points of interest or just come to have fun at one of our recreation areas, but for any reason, come and you will be pleased.

 

 

HISTORIC SITES TO SEE

Train

 


HISTORIC DISTRICT:

The main commercial area of Millen is located on Cotton Avenue.  The buildings on this street along with some side streets are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Most buildings are retail shops built between 1880 and 1930.  The Jenkins County Court House, built in 1910, is also on the National Register.

 

RAILROAD TOWN:  

Millen Train DepotCotton Avenue is an excellent example of a railroad commercial district.  The Central Railroad Company built a line between Savannah and Macon via Millen in the 1830's; a north-south line from Millen to Augusta built by the Savannah Railroad in 1852 turned Millen into a major trade post. 

Two major depots located along Cotton Avenue indicate the significance of rail transportation in Millen.  Both built in the early 1900's, one is currently in used by Norfolk Southern and the other houses the Millen-Jenkins County Museum and Chamber of Commerce.  Railroad activity continues to be important in Millen.  The terminal serves as a switch station where trains are made up.  As many as fifteen trains pass through Millen daily.  Train watching is an attraction for train enthusiasts.

 

JENKINS COUNTY MUSEUM Museum

The Jenkins County Museum is located in one of the two railroad depots still in use in Millen.

The museum contains local histories, Native American Indian artifacts, tools, and cotton mill equipment. 

Museum hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday -Friday. The museum is closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

Admission is free.

 
FORT LAWTON:  

Magnolia Springs State Park is also home to the National Register of Historic Places- listed Fort Lawton.  Camp Lawton, a huge prisoner of war camp occupying 40 acres and designed to hold 40,000 men, was built Fort Lawsonin September, 1864, to relieve congestion at Camp Sumter in Andersonville and to remove the possibility of Sherman's army freeing prisoners there. 

Built by a force of 300 prisoners and 500 slaves, the camp was a log stockade with guard towers on the walls and a ditch dug within the walls for a deadline.  Magnolia Springs was chosen for the site because of the fresh water supply from a natural spring, abundance of timber to construct the stockade and close proximity to the Central of Georgia Railroad.  If the camp were threatened, prisoners could be loaded on trains and moved north to Augusta or south to Savannah. 

The first prisoners began arriving in October, 1864.  By November, 10,299 were held here.  In the late months of 1864, the camp was abandoned in advance of Sherman's March to the Sea and prisoners were first sent to other camps.  In a brief span of four months, the largest prison camp in the world had been conceived, erected, used, and abandoned. 

The earthworks, two large timbers recovered from the stream, and historical markers both inside and outside the park tell the story of the Camp.  The Fort Lawton Historic Trail begins at the Camp Lawton Interpretive Kiosk across from the park office.

 

BIG BUCKHEAD CHURCH:

Big Buckhead Church is one of the oldest structures in the State.  The third oldest Baptist church in Georgia was organized in 1774 before the Big Buckhead ChurchRevolution.  The present Greek Revival structure was completed and dedicated in 1855. 

This is the fourth church to stand on or near this same site.  The first was of logs, the second was framed and completed in 1807 and worth about three hundred dollars, and the third was built of brick in 1830, costing about four thousand dollars.   Because of some defect in construction it was deemed unsafe and gave way to the present building. Some important events have occurred at Buckhead Church.  Here the Hephzibah Association was Big Buckhead Churchorganized in 1794. 

The Georgia Baptist Convention met there in 1831 for its annual session and adopted a resolution to establish a classical and theological school known today as Mercer University.  Bishop Frances Asbury, first American Bishop of the Methodist Church, preached at Buckhead on January 23, 1793. Big Buckhead Church was also the scene of fierce cavalry action resulting in a Confederate victory during Sherman's March to the Sea.

 
CARSWELL GROVE CHURCH:

Carswell Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery, organized in 1867 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, grew out of Big Buckhead Baptist Church approximately two hundred yards away.  The church was organized by African Americans after the Civil War in 1867.  In 1919 the church was destroyed by fire.  The rebuilt church is a unique example of Late Gothic Revival architecture and since the Civil war has been an important place for the African American community in Burke and Jenkins Counties.

 

HISTORIC COMMUNITIES:

  • Butts
  • Elam
  • Four Points
  • Herndon
  • Perkins
  • Scarboro

National Register of Historic Places Sites in Jenkins County

Perkins Building

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 City of Millen - "A Better Hometown" Georgia Logo
  Jenkins County - "An Entrepreneur Friendly Community"
Jenkins County is a Certified Work Ready Community!

Millen/Jenkins County Chamber of Commerce
548 Cotton Avenue - Millen, GA 30442

©2009 Jenkins County Development Authority (all rights reserved)     Send comments to: acrosson@csrardc.org

 
louis vuitton outlet cheap jordans sport blue 3s louis vuitton outlet wolf grey 3s jordan 3 wolf grey nike kd vii louis vuitton outlet louis vuitton purses kate spade handbags kate spade outlet sport blue 3s jordan 3 sport blue louis vuitton outlet michael kors outlet online retro jordans foamposites sport blue 3s Foamposites wolf grey 3s